Yep, its starting to get dark earlier and earlier this time of year. The nights are getting a little chilly, maybe even cold, depending on just where you live. Autumn is upon us and soon, it will be time for those little trick-or-treaters to come knocking at your door.
Its also the time for Halloween parties and get-togethers. Everyone likes to come out, dressed in what they think is a great costume for the annual parties. But with the parties comes the party foods. If you’ve been looking after yourself, weight and fitness wise through the course of the year, you know how tempting all those Halloween treats will be. Most party-hosts go out of their way to have a big variety of delicious foods on hand for you to choose from. The problem is, eating a few of these treats can wind up adding about 3,000 calories to your already daily caloric intake.
Tempting treats are everywhere and it can be difficult to avoid them when you attend parties and other festivities. Plus, it’s the beginning of the holiday season, and if you get off track on Halloween, it can be the beginning of a downward spiral—and the end of your diet.
So because its going to be so easy to give into those temptations, we listed below a few tips you can follow so that just maybe you won’t over do it on the snicker-doodles and possibly more than a few glasses of spirits, and we don’t mean the enchanted ones, after all a ghostly apparition never put weight on your body, right? We mean the liquid refreshments that are so readily available at adult parties.
- Schedule a workout on the morning of Halloween. Whether you plan on hitting parties and imbibing or escorting your little ones for some trick-or-treating, make sure to schedule some time for exercise on Halloween day. Aim for the morning so that you get it out of the way and don’t find excuses for skipping the workout.
- Strive for balance. Load up on protein and fiber all day long, so that you’re not feeling hungry by the time your get started with your Halloween activities. At your event, fill three quarters of your plate with healthy choices such as veggies and leave only a quarter free for treats. Yes, we know this is a hard thing to do, especially when you’re faced with some of your favorite delicacies, but moderation is always the key to any well planned life choice. So, go ahead, take a few of your favorites, but make sure your plate size won't increase your waist size!
- Hydrate. Proper hydration is key to all diets and programs for weight management. When you attend special events or are going to be around lots of tempting treats, drink lots of water to fill you up. This is even more essential if you plan to have alcoholic drinks.
- Buy your least favorite candy. If you plan to stay home and hand out candy, buy types that you don’t really like. You’ll be less tempted to get off track.
- Buy treats on Halloween day. Don’t hit the store early and have bags of candy sitting on your shelves for days on end,that temptation is hard one to overcome. Go at the last possible minute, as in the day of. In addition to minimizing temptation, you’ll get your treats on sale as well.
Another great way to keep yourself under control and on track with your current health conscious lifestyle is to make sure your wearing your Fitness Tracker. This way, depending on the make and model, you can be constantly reminded on just how well you’ve been doing so far this day. Using your fitness tracker can be just the thing you need to be able to walk away from that buffet table once you’ve made up your plate. And believe me, people will take notice of what your eating and what you’re not, especially if they know you’ve been trying to eat right and exercise in order to have your body do an uptick for a healthier lifestyle.
If you don’t currently have a fitness tracker, first, why not? Second, let me recommend one that can be a companion to you in providing the necessary “push” you need in order to stay committed to your healthier lifestyle.
The activity monitor I’m talking about is the Garmin Vivosmart 4 Wellness and Fitness Tracker This small but powerful fitness monitor can be that conscious reminder of just how far you’ve come on your fitness journey and may be just that “push” you need to stay away from those tempting treats and candy. The Vivo 4 will not only track your daily activity, but it will also give smart notifications from your phone, track stress levels and has a pulse ox sensor.
The Garmin Vivosmart 4 Fitness Tracker comes loaded with fitness and wellness features to help you make the most of a healthier, more active lifestyle. A wrist-based Pulse Ox sensor lets you estimate blood oxygen saturation, even while you’re sleeping, or you can spot-check your oxygen levels anytime during the day. The device also monitors heart rate at the wrist and includes helpful tools such as all-day stress tracking, a relaxation breathing timer. Using the Elevate™ heart rate data collected from your wrist, Vívosmart 4 can give you an idea of your current fitness level. For added insight, Vívosmart 4 will notify you if your heart rate unexpectedly rises above a threshold you’ve set. If you’re inactive for more than 10 minutes and your heart rate stays above your set threshold, you’ll get an alert, that you can act on!
So, what better way than to have your own personal conscious like Disney’s Pinocchio’s “Jiminy Cricket” on your wrist like the Garmin Vivosmart 4 Activity Tracker to help keep you aware that fitness is a commitment that you elected to make.
So, with your Garmin at your wrist, it just might make it a little easier to forego those Halloween Treats, in and around that buffet table.