Sneak In Exercise…Even During the Holidays
Thanksgiving has come and gone – but that doesn’t mean that your exercise routine has to take a holiday too. With Christmas and the New Year drawing closer, most people have a tendency to let their fitness plans fall by the wayside. Don’t let that happen to you. The holiday season is full of temptations (and distractions) that can keep you from reaching your wellness goals.
So, to help you stay on track, Heart Rate Monitors USA has developed this list of easy ways to sneak in exercise during the holidays. Whether you’re preparing for a Christmas party or just kicking back after opening gifts, these quick and effective workout tips can keep you moving when you need it most:
- If you’re going holiday shopping, park further away from the store entrance. This will build more walking into your routine, which can get your heart rate up and your muscles moving.
- While you prepare for your holiday party, try to take on cleaning tasks that involve lots of muscle groups, like mopping, scrubbing, and making multiple trips up and down stairs. Even putting up the holiday decorations can help you burn calories!
- As you wait for your bus, train, or flight, take some time to walk around the terminal. You’ll feel energized, plus, it’s an easy way for you to sneak in some exercise.
- Encourage physical activity as part of your holiday routine. Play a game of football or toss a Frisbee in the backyard after opening gifts. Go for regular walks with your family and friends. Play in the snow!
- If you’re staying in a hotel during the holiday season, take advantage of gyms and free exercise classes. If there isn’t anything available, rent an exercise DVD in your room.
- After a big holiday dinner, go for a brisk walk. Better yet, go for a jog or run before sitting down to eat a big meal so that your metabolism gets boosted.
The key with all of these exercise is to get your heart rate up at a consistent level for at least 10 minutes without stopping. This solid range of activity is just what you need to kickstart your body into burning calories and maintaining optimal health. Oh yes, and it makes weight management during the holidays MUCH easier!
What are some of your favorite ways to sneak in exercise during the holiday season?