Sticking With Your New Years Resolution
Finally, to help you keep to your goal of getting healthier in 2011, we have 10 tips for keeping you on board with your resolution. Now, we know that there will be moments of weakness (we’re not perfect) but you can still make a whole lot of progress toward meeting your resolution without falling off the wagon. If you want to get healthier in 2011 and need to stick to it, here are some tips to remember:
- Set realistic goals. In many cases, we tend to overextend ourselves trying to meet a goal that’s simply not reachable and as a result, we get disappointed. Don’t let this happen to you. Instead of setting a big, hard to achieve goal, set lots of little ones along the way. This will keep you motivated the whole year round! Plus, you’ll get to celebrate your successes at each step of the journey.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Meeting your New Year’s resolution can be tough, so don’t be afraid to seek out professional assistance to do it. Talk to your doctor, trainer, nutritionist, spiritual leader, or anyone else who might be able to provide you with the guidance you need to achieve your wellness goals.
- Equip yourself with the right tools. Accessories like a heart rate monitor, pedometer, or even a reusable water bottle can help remind you of your goals while helping you track your progress. If you need them, go for it. If not, that’s fine too. Just remember that sometimes a tool can be a great help in keeping you in check.
- Build a support network. We know it’s hard to achieve a goal – but when you’re surrounded by supportive people, it can be made a whole lot easier. Make sure that you have people to talk to who can help you through the tougher times of keeping with your New Year’s resolution. They can help carry you through a challenging, but rewarding, 2011.
- Tell others about your resolution. This can help you stay accountable throughout the year, plus, you may even inspire someone else to get healthier! Who knows? Maybe you’ll have a friend who can take your wellness journey with you.
- Hold yourself accountable. Don’t make it the job of others to keep you on track. You are in control of your success when it comes to getting healthier in 2011. Remember that and you’ll be motivated to stick to your path.
- Recognize your milestones. If you’ve made progress, give yourself credit! Feeling good about keeping your New Year’s resolution can only intensify its impact. Reward yourself in little ways as you watch a healthier you take shape.
- Don’t neglect your other facets of wellness. Just because you’re looking to lose weight doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t care about improving your spiritual health or vice versa. Wellness is achieved when mind, body, and spirit are in balance. Keep that balance as best as you can and you’ll find that achieving your New Year’s resolution looks and feels a lot better.
- Stay strong! It’s going to be tough – but we know that you can do it. Your support network knows that you can do it. YOU know that you can do it!
- Take action immediately. Delaying your goal will only make it harder to stick with. If you’re reading this now, think about putting your New Year’s resolution into motion. Start planning for being healthier in 2011. It’ll be so much easier and rewarding as you go through the year knowing that you’re giving yourself the best gift of all: the gift of good health.
Good luck with your New Year’s resolution and have a happy and healthy New Year!