February is American Heart Month
According to the American Heart Association (AHA), cardiovascular diseases, including stroke, are our nation’s No. 1 killer. Since 1963, February has been proclaimed American Heart Month and at Heart Rate Monitors USA, we want to do our part to make sure that you’re taking care of your heart. After all, without your heart, it just wouldn’t be possible to do the things you love.
Running, hiking, biking, walking, breathing…these are all things that depend on your heart’s health.
Here are 5 easy ways that you can take care of your ticker so that you can continue to enjoy running, biking, hiking, or whatever else you love to do!
- Cut back on the fat, sugar, and salt. When consumed in excess, these three things are a huge risk to your heart health.
- Care for your heart by incorporating more omega fatty acids into your diet.
- Drink more water. Not only will it keep your body hydrated, but switching to water instead of soft drinks can help eliminate those added sugars, caffeine, and salts that can easily creep up on you throughout the day.
- Exercise! If you can, try to exercise about 30 minutes every day. Even if it’s just a walk around the block, exercise helps to keep your heart healthy and your metabolism boosted.
- Cut back on the stress. If you’re feeling anxious, make time to relax. Meditate. Take a hot bath. Get a massage. Stress can make your heart work overtime.
What are some ways that you take care of your heart?