It happens to all of us – You get into an intense and great workout groove, and suddenly you stop seeing results and drop your fitness regime all together. Overcoming a fitness plateau can be difficult, but it is important to start by understanding what caused this rut in the first place. Are you bored or experiencing fatigue with your workouts? Have you stopped seeing results? The following tips can help you overcome your exercise plateau and get you back to reaching your goals:
- Buy Proper Workout Attire. Buying proper exercise clothing will encourage you to get up and start moving. Be sure to buy a good pair of sneakers as well, as the wrong type of shoe can cause injury.
- Switch Up Your Routine. If you normally walk on your treadmill, head outside for a jog or hike instead. If you usually stick to your fitness DVDs, join a gym and participate in group exercise classes. A change of scenery can be very motivating for your workout plan. Similarly, you can always inspire each other when working out with other people.
- Change Your Diet. Healthy eating habits are important for fueling your body. Make sure you are getting enough protein from your meals, as protein will help build muscle and increase your metabolism.
- Take A Break. Your body needs rest after workouts. Stick to a workout plan of no more than 1 hour or so a day, for 3-5 days each week.
- Sleep. Be sure to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night so your body can perform at its max.
- Have Fun. Most importantly, exercising should be fun. Whether it’s running on the beach or playing football with friends, you are still exercising even though it may not seem like it.
Above all, always remain positive and determined. You will find yourself having a better mindset and being closer to your goals.