Preparations for any athletic event require attention to detail and an understanding of training effects. Triathlons are among the most rigorous of all events, and there are several triathlon training tips to keep in mind for top performance:
- Performance gains should be predictable and slow. Pushing yourself to run, cycle or swim more than about 10 percent longer or farther each week will have negative consequences.
- Athletes in training must listen to and respect their bodies. If you feel run-down one day or more fatigued than usual, it is a message from the body to slow down and allow recuperation.
- The right apparel makes a huge difference in performance. Heart rate monitors with GPS capability allow you to track progress and even get a strong feel for the triathlon route before the event.
- Going a little further than the event course requires will help you build confidence. Psychological preparation for long-distance events is just as important as physical preparation.
- The last two weeks before an event are best spent on maintenance and optimizing energy storage through diet. Further performance gains are not possible with this short time period.
- Seek out more triathlon training tips from experienced trainers and professional athletes.
These are just a few tips for training for a triathlon. Share your best tips with us in the comments!