Looking to get yourself in shape and want to rally others around you for support? Start a walking program or contest at your workplace! Walking not only promotes a healthy and active lifestyle, but it’s also a great stress reliever during the work day. Heart Rate Monitors USA has some great tips on how to get your coworkers to walk with you, and maybe even stir up some healthy competition along the way!
- Start by setting a goal or working with your HR department to determine a prize – whether it’s an actual, physical prize or time off from work. Whoever walks the most wins the prize!
- Set a time of day –whether it’s a scheduled break or your lunch – to get together and walk.
- Make sure that you’re tracking your distance each day: either through a pedometer or a heart rate monitor, or just by where you walk (if it’s outside).
- Progressively increase the amount of walking you do each day.
- Have a weekly roundup of the amount of miles walked – you can try doing this by team, or by the individual. Then – plot them out on a scoreboard. This increases the competitiveness of the competition, and shows your progress throughout the week.
Have any more tips on how to start a walking program in your workplace? Share it in a comment below!