317 pages of information designed to help high school students get into shape and know their bodies.
Get up to speed on the use of heart rate monitor technology in high school physical education and health instruction.
• Teach students about lifelong heart fitness.
• Help students individualize their fitness goals and assess their own progress.
Veteran physical educators Deve Swaim and Sally Edwards introduced middle school teachers to heart rate monitors in Middle School Healthy Hearts in the Zone (published in 2002). Their latest book focuses on the unique needs of high school teachers and is designed to make it easy for you to use this technology in your high school curriculum.
How is High School Healthy Hearts in the Zone different from Middle School Healthy Hearts in the Zone? The book provides additional worksheets and workouts for high school students, expanded coverage of the health benefits of heart fitness, in-depth technical information on heart rate monitors, and guidelines for using the technology in sports.
Learn how to
• easily use heart rate monitors—even if you’re a novice,
• incorporate heart rate monitor technology into your high school curricula,
• facilitate experiential learning that helps students see and feel how heart health fitness fits into the curriculum,
• add variety to your teaching to keep students interested, and
• provide athletes with a new way to monitor their progress.
The text explains the rationale behind using heart rate monitors and heart zone training in high school curricula. It provides 46 lesson plans that emphasize self-directed learning, goal setting, and self-motivation. It also presents 72 pull-out, reproducible student worksheets and pull-out log and journal pages.
Whether you’re new to heart rate monitor technology or you’re already using the device, you need High School Healthy Hearts in the Zone—everything you need to succeed is here.
Publisher: Human Kinetics Publishers
Author: Deve Swaim, Nick Saviano, Sally Edwards
No. of Pages: 328
Publish Date: 2002-09-30